- « Some travel agencies opting out of Natas fair »
- « AsiaSpa Awards celebrates the best of travel, spa and wellness in Asia »
- « AirAsia celebrates new LINE aircraft with flight sale »
- « How to explore Turkey in 7 days with a budget of $1,000 »
- « 90% of SE Asian travellers check e-mails while on vacation »
- « Go from wedding to honeymoon at these 10 romantic destinations »
- « AirAsia ASEAN pass for regional travel »
- « Russians are coming »
- « Seeing double? 9 European alternatives to the world's top attractions »
- « Travel back in time by visiting these 10 ancient cities »
How to spot a Singaporean abroad
The New Paper | Tue, Nov 26 2013
Singaporeans are world travellers, but are we conspicuous abroad?
We spoke to some people in the travel industry to get four particular traits.
1. Culture? No thanks
Apparently Singaporeans are much more interested in where to eat and shop.
The wonders of the ancient world can wait if Prada is just down the road.
2. Far too trusting
Call it a side effect of our safe society. Singaporeans are often caught leaving purses and bags wide open.
The biggest mistake is putting our phones next to us when eating. It's a snatch thief's smorgasbord.
3. Wi-Fi is everything
We are uber-connected. Every aspect of the holiday must be logged, uploaded and shared as it happens. That means a hunt for Wi-Fi.
Why watch the waves or laze in the sun when you can find out what's on Facebook, or even worse, still check work e-mails?
4. Stuck to the schedule
Planning a holiday can go too far.
Singaporeans apparently want to stick to the schedule so tightly they can miss amazing events.
Spontaneity is almost seen as a bad thing.
Get The New Paper for more stories.